The Centennial Building, once know as the Court Offices, was designed by architects, Frederick Cumberland and Wallace Storm, and was built in 1854. The building served as the county court until 1964, and then became the community centre in 1967.
In 1984 the building was deemed an historical building under the Ontario Heritage Act and currently is the home of the Whitby Courthouse Theatre. It also houses a banquet facility and until recently, the town archives.
Paranormal phenomena have been witnessed in this building over the years by several of its custodians. Lights in the Regal Room (banquet hall) have been reported to go on, when the building has been darkened and secured for the night, causing custodians to re-enter the building and have to secure it once more. One particular custodian witnessed an apparition in the upper balcony of the theatre, which then stepped down 15 feet onto the seating floor. Such reports date back to 1871. Gord Howard, a staff writer for the Oshawa/Whitby This Week claimed, "If this place isn't haunted, it should be".
The present facility attendant, Greg Nugent told us that he personally has never seen anything anomalous in the building although he did relate that a teacher that worked in the building experienced paranormal activity when she was there by herself working. She promptly left.
The building is currently being audited for reconstruction, which is scheduled to begin sometime around March 2002. We would be very interested in returning to the building once the construction is under way to see if the coming project causes any reaction amongst it's unseen residents.
Special thanks go to Greg Scott, who arranged and made it possible for us to investigate this beautiful piece of architecture. Our thanks also go to Greg Nugent who was a wonderful and very good-humoured guide.
Sources: Oshawa/Whitby This Week www.town.whitby.on.ca5005